Friday, July 9, 2010

The Last Airbender... where do I start?

Yeah. I went and saw The Last Airbender. It was bad.

Honestly, the Hero of Time, a low-budget and independently filmed and produced Legend of Zelda film, was better than that. And Last Airbender was all high-budget and produced by Nickelodeon and stuff!

You guys have probably read all of the complaints, so I'll keep my list generally short.

-The acting was BLAND. Very bland. The best performance was given by whoever played Zhao, and that was because he was funny to listen to. I don't know what it was about him, but he made me laugh so hard, the people in front of me told me to be quiet.

-The storyline was VERY rushed. Honestly, they were RUNNING through the season, hitting all of the important points, yes, but they could've slowed it down a bit. Spent some time on, oh, CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT? I mean, yeah, most of your audience knows who they are and how they act, but it still would've been nice to see it.

-They left out characters that, though they were only in one episode of the show, were very important later on. There was no Jet, Suki, or Bumi, and Haru was much too young. Where's Sokka's love interest? What's going to happen to the White Lotus society? Oh yes, the two animal members of the cast, Appa and Momo, were barely in the film, even though they were also important characters.

-The fight scenes looked more like interperative dance than fight scenes. Martial arts usually looks more... action-y than that. It was fun humming classical music during the scenes, though. Gave the movie more humor.

-Oh yes... there was NO humor! Yes, Avatar was serious, but it had it's moments of hilarity. I made my own humorous moments. And when I have to MAKE things funny, it can't be good. The significant lack of comic relief was actually... disturbing.

There was only one redeeming point in the movie. The scenery was BREATHTAKING! Like, I wanted to live in some of the places in that movie. Unfortunately, good scenery alone is not enough to save a movie.

So all-in-all, I've never been more hopeful to see a series end. Which it most likely will. I have to make myself feel better and watch all of book 1 soon.

1 comment:

  1. Zhao was totally Aasif Mandvi from the Daily Show. I thought that was who you meant from the moment I read it so I looked it up. I didn't even know, just an intuitional leap!

    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0938283/

    ReplyDelete